The imposing Fort Saint André, remarkable for its state of preservation, sits atop the Mount Andaon, a rocky outcrop rising up 50 metres above the floodplain of the Rhône. The site was already occupied by the Benedictine abbey and former village of Saint-André when construction of the fort began in the 12th century. Around 1292, the king Philippe le Bel set about assuring the defence against Avignon of this bastion of the French realm and the main trade routes that he controlled. But it was during the 13th century, with the establishment of the Holy See in Avignon and then the founding by the pope of the Chartreuse de Val-de-Bénédiction in 1356 at the foot of the fort, that the site became a veritable military fortress, 750 metres long with a curtain wall, crenellations, machicolations, towers and two portcullises, a garrison, a prison, gatehouse and chapel.
Fort Saint-André in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
Machicolations of Fort Saint-André
Panoramic views of Avignon
Fort Saint-André - 59, rue Montée du Fort - 30400 Villeneuve-lès-Avignon
+33 (0)4 90 25 45 35http://fort-saint-andre.monuments-nationaux.fr/