The Julien Bridge is located on the Domitian Way (via Domitia), which passed through Cavaillon linking Narbonne (Colonia Narbo Martius) with Turino (Augusta Taurinorum) to finally reach the Alps and provide communications with Rome. It owes its name to the proximity of Apt, called at the time Colonia Apta Julia.
Built under the orders of Julius Ceasar, it owes its name to the proximity of Apt, called at the time Colonia Apta Julia.
Traditionally dated from the year 3 BC, the architecture of this edifice, 80 m long, 6 m wide, 11.50 m high, and with a span of 46 m, is characterized by its quite elegant appearance, thanks to the three, very wide semi-circular arches providing a lightness of style and solidity. The central arch is higher and wider than the others ; the intermediate supports are pierced with large semi-circular openings, to allow for the draining of the waters of the Cavalon when their levels rose, and are fitted upstream wih semi-circular cutwaters. The limestone used in its construction came from the quarries of the Luberon. It replaced an older bridge, of which we can see traces around the supports.
Classed on the 1914 list as "Historical monument", the Julien Bridge has resisted time.
In 1789, work was undertaken, cracks were filled in and it would no longer be open to heavy vehicles. In the 20th century, the Julien Bridge needed urgent repairs ; following acceptance, the town decided to begin its restoration, with the support of the Conseil Général. Today, the Pont Julien is still used to reach the N100.
The Julien Bridge was part of the roads network (departmental route 108) until Spring 2005 and the making of a detour and construction of a new bridge nearby, in order to protect it... A brand new concrete bridge was built to save the Julien Bridge from traffic.
Pont Julien - 84480 Bonnieux