The Magne Tower is the only remaining vestige of the ancient fortifications of Nîmes built by the emperor Augustus. Standing on Mount Cavalier, the highest point in the city, the tower overlooked the plain and the trade routes.
The original Celtic tower was 18 metres high. The emperor Augustus had it doubled in size and incorporated into the city's defensive wall. When the population left the city's heights, the tower continued to play a military role, notably against the English during the Hundred Years War.
In 1832, the Magne Tower became a telegraph relay station. In fact, telegraphy was so important in the region that primary school students were taught its language.
The tower's interior has been restored and within its circular walls 140 narrow steps lead to the top.
As you will see at all the monuments in Nîmes, the tower is generously endowed with explanatory panels about the history and importance of the Via Domitia. Along with the panoramic views over the city, these panels allow the visitor to imagine Nîmes as it would have been in Roman times.
Listed as a Historic Monument, it can be reached from the Jardins de la Fontaine.
The Tour Magne on Mont Cavalier in Nîmes
Panoramic view of Nîmes from the Tour Magne
La Tour Magne - Place Guillaume Apollinaire - 30000 Nîmes