The Wines of the Drôme

The Drôme offers a rich and noble range of wines in all three colours: red, white and rosé. The Côtes du Rhône accounts for 75% of the production with its AOC wines; the remaining 25% are the local wines and the table wines, the latter produced in the smallest quantity.

The Drôme is a land of wine-making par excellence. Viticulture has fashioned the landscape of the Drôme since the second century AD, as archaeological vestiges can testify. The vineyards spread out over approximately 20,000 hectares.

​The production is distinguished by two big appellations:

- AOC: Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée

- AOP: Appellation d'Origine protégée

The wines produced are:

the Côtes du Rhône AOC-AOP (Hermitage, Crozes-Hermitage and Vinsobres),

the Côtes du Rhône villages (Rochegude, Rousset-les-Vignes, Saint-Maurice-sur-Eygues and Saint-Pantaléon-les-Vignes)

Grignan-les-Adhémar (stretching over 21 communes from Chauteauneuf-du-Rhône to Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux and Grignan)

Clairette and Crémant de Die (associated with the tranquil wines, these are sparkling blanc de blancs wines made with the Clairette grape)

Chatillon-en-Diois (production of fine white wines made with the Aligoté and Chardonnay grapes and Pinot noir red wines)

the Coteaux des Baronnies IGP (at the foot of the Mont-Ventoux, mostly red wines are produced)

the Vins de Pays local wines (which can be found throughout the Drôme; these are quality wines since they come from the wine-makers who also produce the more prestigious wines)

the apéritifs and liqueurs (walnut wine, eau de vie, the liqueurs and syrups of Eyguebelle)  

For the reds, the authorized grapes used in the wines are the Syrah, Grenache, Mourvèdre, Mondeuse, Gamay, Cinsault and Carignan. Thanks to the Grenache grapes, the wine is full-bodied; blended with Syrah wines, the bottles can be laid down.

The whites are essentially made from the Marsanne, Roussanne, Clairette, Bourboulenc and the white Grenache grapes.

The rosés are fruity and elegant thanks to the Cinsault, Mauzac, Clairette and Barbaroux grapes; they should be drunk chilled and are enjoyable as a cocktail and in summer.

The label Vignobles & Découvertes, created in 2009, promotes wine and vineyard tourism. Tours based on these two themes are highlighted through a selection of wine cellars, accommodations, tourist sites, restaurants, activities and events.

Two territories of the Drôme wear this label with pride:

- Hermitage en Saint-Joseph

- the Drôme Provençale with the areas of Vinsobres, AOP Grignan-les-adhémar and the IPG Coteaux les Baronnies.

Wine tasting

Oak casks in a cellar

Vineyards in the fall, just after the grape harvest

Wine tasting glasses

The vineyard of Vinsobres, in the Drôme Provençale

The Hermitage vineyards

The vineyard on the hill of Hermitage

To visit

The Wine University - Château of Suze la Rousse

Château de Suze - 26790 Suze-la-Rousse

Courses in wine-tasting, introduction to wine-making, groups, seminars, higher education (DESS, Sommelier degrees, etc.)

Association des Vignerons Drômois

Tel.: +33 (0)4 75 46 91 22 – Fax: +33 (0)4 75 46 56 05

Maison des Vins de Tain l'Hermitage

485, avenue des Lots – 26600 Tain l'Hermitage

Tel. +33(0)4 75 07 88 81

Scroll To Top