Classed as a "Village & Site of Character", Cruis nestles at 711 metres altitude, on the southern slope of the Lure Mountain in the Alpes de
The village, where local life is very dynamic, has a population of approx. 650 people called the Crussiens.
All its cultural heritage has been harmoniously restored and you will absolutely enjoy a stroll in the old village, discovering the beautiful stone façades, the Saint-Martin Church and the ruins of the old abbey's cloisters, the fountain, the oratory, the washhouse and many other treasures.
Many marked walking trails let you explore the Lure Mountain that was so dear to Jean Giono. Emblematic of the Haute Provence, it has the ideal conditions for watching the night sky, not to mention the beautiful views at all times of day over the southern Alps, from the summits of the Ecrins National Park to the hills of Provence.
Starting in spring and continuing throughout summer, many events take place in Cruis:
Less then 30km away, the most beautiful sites in Haute Provence are open to you:
- St Etienne les Orgues, 6km away
- Notre Dame de Lure, 14km away,
- Forcalquier, its citadel and its big market on Monday mornings, 22km away
- Notre Dame de Ganagobie Abbey, 22km away
- Banon, its lavender fields and its famous cheese, 24km away
- Sisteron, among the 100 Most Beautiful Detours of France, 25km away
- The Astronomy Centre in St-Michel-L'Observatoire, 30km away
Cloister of the Cruis Abbey and its beautifully restored arcades
Saint Martin de Cruis Church
The ribbed vault ceiling of the Church of Cruis
17th century altarpiece of the Church of Cruis
Sculpture of the winged ox of Saint-Luke
The historically listed santons in the Church of Cruis
Mairie de Cruis - Place de la mairie - 04230 Cruis
+33(0)4 92 77 04 31https://www.cruis.fr/