Picasso is closely associated with the town of Vallauris, already well-known for its pottery and ceramics.
He lived there between 1948 and 1955. Entranced by the charm of the Romanesque chapel in the château de Vallauris, Picasso decided to create there a “Temple of Peace”. Wanting to renew with sacred art and in an ideological spirit, he created a monumental work entitled War and Peace. Composed of two panels measuring more than 100 m2 , his work represents the horrors of war and the benefits of peace.
Today, the chapel has become the Picasso National Museum La Guerre et La Paix. A wing of the museum also presents the artist's linocuts and ceramics.
The château that houses the museum is one of the region's rare Renaissance buildings; it also houses the Magnelli Museum and the Museum of Ceramics.
Musée National Picasso - Place de la Libération - 06220 Vallauris
04 93 64 71 83http://musees-nationaux-alpesmaritimes.fr/picasso/