Damaged during the barbarian invasions, the aqueduct ceased functioning for good in the 9th century. It was only used as a bridge for crossing the Gardon river.
In 1743 it operated as a road bridge.
In the 19th century, the monument, worn by time and erosion, risked collapsing.
Considerable work to consolidate and restore it was undertaken under the Second Empire.
In 2000, the State financed, as part of a 'Grand Site National' operation and with the assistance of local authorities, UNESCO and the European Union, a project of works on the site to ensure the preservation of this exceptional monument, at risk due to the great flow of tourists. It was decided to reserve for pedestrians only access to it and to improve the infrastructures at visitors' disposal with, amongst other spaces, a museum, an outdoor trail "Mémoires de Garrigue", a recreational space devoted to fun educational activities for 5 to 12 year olds, temporary expositions and a cinema where the Pont du Gard is celebrated.